Skip to Content

Sidmouth Town Junior Vikings

Sidmouth Warriors U11s


Visit the Exeter Youth League website for the fixture list, results and tables.

Latest fixture & training calendar below. Last updated 23/4/15.

Training is every Monday 6:30 - 8:00 at Bicton College 3G astro, except school holidays.

Saturday 25 April - CS Pumas (A) 10:30 ko

Match Reports

Alphington 3-0 Sidmouth Warriors - 22 April 2015

Playing their 3rd match in 5 days the Warriors took to the field on a beautiful East Devon evening knowing their Division 1 status was secure for next season.

The starting 9 had a new look about it due to a clash with a tag rugby tournament. On tired legs, the Warriors went into battle once more with Tim admirably filling the sweeper role in Benedict's absence.

The quality of the game was good and Sidmouth battled well, working hard for each other.

Alphington haven't won the league without being an excellent side. And what's more they play from the back and through the thirds. Plenty of good passing and movement backed up with physical strength, alertness and tactically sharp too.

Playing with the slope Alphington scored three first-half goals with no reply.

With the tag-rugby lads arriving for the 2nd half, a more familiar line-up ensued and this enabled Sidmouth to take more possession.

Chances were created at both ends but neither team could provide a finish to some good approach play. George's fine form in goal continues and he pulled off some terrific saves.

Congratulations to Alphington on their league success. Congratulations too to the Warriors on their achievements this season.

Coach Justin had a few words to say on this match..."tonight's match was a good benchmark for us. We know we can compete and we know we can score goals against any team. For me the main difference I'm seeing [between Alphington and us] is the care with which they treated the ball in possession. They are all relaxed on the ball and take great care keeping it amongst their team, choosing and making the right pass. We try to play the same way but we gave the ball away too easily. That puts us under pressure to win the ball back and we then spend too much energy chasing the ball. That's the key difference. But, it gives us a clear focus for next year and the boys are getting better and better so I'm really excited already about next season."

Copplestone Cobras 2-4 Sidmouth Warriors - 20 April 2015

And so, to the depths of mid-Devon, the boys knowing that a win would secure a berth in next season's Div. 1.

A draw or even a defeat would still mean Okey had to beat Pink Panthers on the last day. The boys understood the importance of completing the job themselves.

Copplestone have struggled all season, especially at home. However, both teams were evenly matched in the first half. On a rock-hard and bumpy pitch (gorgeous views though) it was difficult to bring the ball down and judge the weight of the pass.

Copplestone certainly matched Sidmouth in the battle but it was the away team who carved out the clearest openings. Then, just before the half-time whistle and after a penalty area scramble that seemed to have been cleared up by Copplestone, who else but Ryan K popped up from 20 yards out to hit a great strike into the home team's net.

A crucial goal!

Unfortunately Brad had to go off with a foot injury at half-time and a bit of reshuffling saw Samuel switch to left-half.

The match was decided as a contest within 5 minutes of the second half when Tim pounced on defensive uncertainty to put the Warriors 2-0 up then 3-0 up!

At this stage, the 2nd half was unrecognisable from the opening period. The Warriors controlled the match with several further chances created and, er, missed.

Harry went on a fabulous run weaving his way past several purple shirts into the home penalty area only to see his shot saved. Harry, that could have been the goal of the season!

Stan & Toby ran the right channel and Samuel & Ryan controlled the left flank. More goals would surely come and when Tim found space near the touchline, his perfect cross was met on the head by marauding Joe. 4-0 to the Warriors.

At this point of the match, we really looked as though we'd go on to win by a few more but with only 5 minutes left, Copplestone started to step things up with a flurry of corners. Their young lad (Oscar?) was putting in excellent deliveries all match and when one of them was met by Big Ben, a spark was ignited.

Another good delivery, this time from a free-kick, was finished off for a second goal. But, there wasn't enough time left and the score finished 4-2 to Sidmouth.

And so, on a beautiful evening in mid-Devon, the sun set on a wonderful bunch of lads who smiled, laughed and went home to East Devon knowing they'd be playing in Division 1 next year.

It's where you belong boys. Very well done.

Sidmouth Warriors 5-2 Honiton Devils - 18 April 2015

The Green Army moved a step closer to Div 1 safety with a decisive home win against local rivals Honiton, avenging a forgettable away defeat before Christmas.

Still, we did things the hard way conceding a soft goal after a couple of minutes.

Thankfully parity was soon restored when Tim finished calmly then Thomas Rowan put Sidmouth into the lead, following up decisively from close range.

Sidmouth were in control but again conceded a sloppy goal on the stroke of half-time.

The half-time team talk was good. Everyone stayed calm and we reminded ourselves that if we stuck to our simple passing and concentrated on our shape, the chances would come.

And so it proved. Joe quickly put Sidmouth back in front and playing up the slope the second half belonged to the Warriors. Tim added a second and Samuel, who is in excellent form, added to the home team's tally.

Jamie hit the cross-bar with an amazing long-ranger and can be delighted with his best match of the season.

Sad to see our friends at Honiton drop down to Div. 2 and we wish them well next season.

Sidmouth Warriors 2-3 Lympstone Lions - 11 April 2015

Aided by a strong wind, the downhill slope and some very hospitable football from the home team (!), Lympstone raced into a 3-goal lead with quarter of an hour gone!

Once the lads had settled down, the game became a lot more competitive and Sidmouth did well to contain a powerful Lympstone team, keeping the deficit to 3-0 at half time.

We knew it was going to be a game of two halves and so it proved with the wind up our backs.

The boys were 'knocking on the door' of the Lympstone goal and finally, Tim broke free midway through the second half to reduce the arrears.

A splendid team goal was to follow with some slick Arsenal-esque passing culminating in a decisive finish from Samuel Rice.

Alas, the home team ran out of time. There's no doubt an equaliser would have come had there been 5 or 10 minutes of 'Fergie time' at the end of the match!

Credit to Lympstone. They're in the cup final, have a physically strong team who are well organised and supported by two excellent coaches.

Pink Panthers 5-2 Sidmouth Warriors - 4 April 2015

The Pink Panthers got their revenge on Saturday having been soundly defeated two weeks previously.

The first half was evenly matched and playing up the slope it was the home team who broke the deadlock with a good move.

The Warriors hit back with two goals of their own, both contenders for goal of the season. Tim brought down a bouncing ball, eluded a couple of defenders and slammed home the equaliser.

Joe then dispatched a stunning free kick into the top corner to give Sidmouth a 2-1 half-time lead.

With the strengthening wind and slope in their favour, the 2nd half was dominated by the Panthers who, to be fair to them, put on an impressive display of powerful attacking football.

The lads defended heroically with George pulling off one tremendous save in particular but they could do little to stop the tide with the Panthers scoring four second half goals with no return.

Heavitree Social Gunners 3-2 Sidmouth Warriors - 28 March 2015

The Warriors were unfortunate not to take something from this game as they should have taken a comfortable lead into half-time.

The match started brightly for the visitors when Tim once again sprinted clear to slot home.

The Warriors could not add to their tally despite some good chances being created. And then just before half time the home ref spotted a handball in the penalty area which was slotted home by Heavitree.

Sidmouth re-took the lead early in the second half when Joe poked home from close range after more good approach work.

This seemed to spark the home team into life and it was they who took over the running of the game, winning too many of the 50-50's.

Heavitree equalised after a spell of pressure then quickly added a third. Sidmouth still created chances on the break but it wasn't to be there day.

Our massive thanks to Thomas who took the gloves for this match and withstood some 'vocal' home supporters next to his goal...

Sidmouth Warriors 6-0 Pink Panthers - 21 March 2015

What a pleasure it is to watch a high quality junior football match in warm spring sunshine!

"Don't worry about it boys. Keep working hard and the good times will come back..." - this is what Justin said in his match report after the Honiton Devils game, early December. (Scroll down the page to check for yourself!).

Well, the lads are indeed looking confident and relaxed at the moment and starting to see the reward for their hard work on the training ground...

In-form Warriors entertained high-flying Pink Panthers on Saturday at Newton Poppleford and set about the task with gusto!

Only two teams have beaten the visiting cup-finalists this season but this only served to further motivate the boys in green!

Remarkably, an entertaining first half finished goalless despite some excellent football by both teams.

The half-time team talk was brief and positive and the lads couldn't wait for the re-start.

The breakthrough finally came 5 minutes into the second half after another brilliant Stan Richardson corner was met at the far post by Joe.

The Warriors were now playing fluently and with confidence high, spectators were treated to a thrilling second half display. Stan capped a fine striker's performance with two well-taken goals whilst Joe added two more smart finishes to complete his hat-trick.

Toby executed a volley from close range to seal the win.

George was assured in goal showing good handling skills and decisive distribution. The defence was well marshalled by Benedict and Harry to secure a well-earned clean sheet.

Jed put in another fine shift in holding mid, always setting up the play with intelligent passing - Jed proves it's so much easier when you play with your head-up.

Samuel and Jamie linked up well on the right channel whilst Brad enjoyed a welcome return to form with a strong display in the first half. Ryan continues to enjoy himself on the left where his pace is an asset to build on.

This was an excellent team performance in all areas of the pitch.

Credit to the Panthers too who lost a player early due to sickness but they continued to play their part in a great game.

Sidmouth Warriors 5-4 Okehampton Argyle - 14 March 2015

The Warriors are making a habit of roller-coaster encounters!

Sidmouth started in their customary sluggish manner allowing the visitors to gain early control and take the lead.

Parity was restored courtesy of a speculative long-range effort from the touchline by Stan which eluded the Okey keeper. It was against the run of play but it's exactly what Okey did to us earlier in the season!

The goal gave the boys a huge boost. Benedict went on a fantastic run to put Joe through on goal who finished coolly, to put Sidmouth 2-1 ahead at half-time

Similar to the Redstar match we started the second half by conceding two quick goals! The momentum of the match continued to swing back and forth.

Tim equalised for the Warriors who then took control of the game only to concede a fourth! The lads' tremendous character has been witnessed more than once this season and it was no surprise to see them equalise with another fine strike by Tim.

Not content with a point, the Warriors were soon on the attack again with Samuel one again in the right place at the right time to slot home the winner.

Thomas battled very well throughout the match and Harry was a tower of strength and inspiration in defence.

This was a wonderful game show-casing some very talented young players on both sides.

Brixington Blues 4-0 Sidmouth Warriors - 28 Feb 2015

Sidmouth may have lost by four goals but they can be proud of this performance - and feel hard-done-by too!

In a very high quality game, the home keeper was kept busy throughout with the Warriors unfortunate not to net on more than one occasion.

Samuel Rice slotted effortlessly into an unfamiliar defensive role, reading the game superbly. Thomas Rowan battled valiantly in his best game of the season and Jed Ionov-Flint's passing also caught the eye. And let's not forget that one spectacular save that George made - apparently he's been re-enacting it at home ever since!

This was a team performance that was highly enjoyable to watch and left parents, coaches and boys all smiling!

Sidmouth Warriors 6-5 Central Redstar - 21 Feb 2015

These two Exeter & District rivals served up their second 11-goal thriller of the season but this time it was the Warriors who deservedly stole the points. The Warriors would really be kicking themselves if they'd let this one slip.

Star of the show was Tim who bagged five goals in an extraordinary match.

Redstar took an early lead with the home team looking just a little sluggish, allowing the visitors too much time on the ball.

Stan, making a welcome return in the green shirt, broke through the Redstar defence to coolly slot home the equaliser and then Tim notched his first of the day with a trademark flash of pace and deadly finish to give Sidmouth a 2-1 half-time lead.

The boys were probably guilty of assuming they were now in control of the match, playing with the advantage of the slope in the second half. This proved a dangerous assumption!

Straight after the break Redstar gratefully received two gift-wrapped goals to re-gain the lead with the home team caught watching the ball rather than attacking it.

However, it wasn't long before Tim hit back with two of his own, the second being a lovely headed finish from a terrific cross by Joe.

Back came Redstar to equalise at 4-4 then Tim broke through-again for his fourth and the Warriors' 5th of the day!

Not to be outdone, Redstar claimed a late equaliser despite valiant defensive work by the ever-tenacious Benedict.

And so, with a minute left on the clock, the Warriors yet again went on the attack and with the final kick of the match, Tim rounded the keeper for a much needed winner!


Coach Justin: "What a thrilling game, a much-deserved win that was long overdue! Congratulations to the boys for never giving up and for following the attacking game-plan perfectly. But let's not forget the defending lessons Adam has been teaching us recently! We are all defenders when we've lost the ball."

Twyford Spartans 3-3 Sidmouth Warriors - 24 Jan 2015

Sidmouth and Twyford have made a habit of producing highly entertaining encounters and Saturday morning at Amory Park was no different!

A physically strong home side made most of the running in the first half. Sidmouth defended well but struggled to get the ball out of their own half.

In-form keeper George was called into action several times but could do little about the 3-0 reverse at half time.

The lads were instructed to move the ball up the pitch much quicker and that's exactly what they did with Tim pulling a goal back soon after the re-start. This gave the boys an immediate lift and Joe prodded home a second following another swift counter-attack.

In an end-to-end half, Tim then raced through again for the equaliser. Both keepers remained very busy and George's positioning was faultless as he pulled off several saves and blocks.

The Warriors deserve great credit for this fantastic comeback and sticking to their 'footballing principles'.

Jed had his best game of the season in holding-mid, breaking up the play on several occasions and starting an attack for the Warriors.

Friendly: Exmouth United 4-3 Sidmouth Warriors - 17 Jan 2015

Exmouth and Sidmouth served up another exciting encounter with the Vikings once again on the losing end for the second week running!

First of all, what a fantastic place to play football, right on the sea-front next to the cricket pitch. The surface was fantastic too.

The match was played in four quarters to allow the coaches to switch a few players and positions and generally try out a few ideas.

Exmouth were fastest out-of-the-blocks in Q1 and quickly established a 2-0 lead long before Sidmouth had woken up. A long range 3rd goal was added before we'd even reached 10 minutes!

Sidmouth gradually clawed their way back into the game and Samuel Rice, yet again, was in the right place at the right time to pull a goal back for the visitors.

Sidmouth then proceeded to control the next two quarters. It was good to see the boys settle down and get a good passing game going.

Brad & Toby were linking well on the left whilst Tim 'Usain Bolt' Goody played the role of rampaging right-back very well indeed.

For the second game running, Benedict went on several of his 'trademark' surges from the back causing panic in the Exmouth defence.

The pressure finally told when Toby was put through to rifle home with great authority.

3-2 down at the start of the final quarter, Sidmouth continued to do all the attacking but it was Exmouth who re-gained the two-goal advantage against the run of play.

Back came Sidmouth again, and after another strong run and shot by Tim, Thomas was first to the rebound to slot home.

There were further chances for Sidmouth and in the closing minute Joe did equalise but was adjudged to have fouled the last defender. Cue stunned silence from both sets of fans!

Thanks to our local friends at Exmouth for hosting us.

Some observations on this match from Justin

1. It was a pleasure to watch the passing game re-ignited. I particularly enjoyed the way we recycled the ball in defence and via George - keeping possession and launching another attack. THIS IS HOW TO DO IT!

2. The return of the 'Benedict Surge'. Now we need to work on how the midfielders and striker react to these runs. What was good to see, though, was a defender slotting into the middle to cover Benedict.

3. We lost the game in the first quarter - you know that. We've let in several long-distance goals this season which I have previously described as 'random'. There are now too many instances of this happening for it to be random! It needs quicker closing down and better defensive positioning particularly by the attacking- and centre-mids. Also, George will work on his footwork and positioning to deal with such shots.

4. We must have had a dozen corners in the match - and they were all the same! Time for a refresher course at training...

5. Toby thoroughly deserved his goal as it capped off his best performance of the season. What characterised his match was that HE TOOK RESPONSIBILITY. A confident player always wants the ball and that's exactly what he did. Nice one Tobes.

League Cup QF: Sidmouth Warriors 2-3 Exmouth United - 10 Jan 2015

by Harry's dad

Saturday saw the first division Sidmouth Warriors playing top of league two, Exmouth town, in a cup match.

The match started with the Warriors playing uphill and into a strong wind. The teams looked evenly matched and play went back and forth until Exmouth snatch possession from a Warriors throw in and a long shot, from outside the area, found the back of the net.

The warriors fought on and had several chances. Joe took the ball getting past three Exmouth players passing to Stanley, who fired a rocket of a shot, that knocked the keeper backwards but he held on to it, just inches from crossing his goal line. Later Joe had another fantastic shot on target from the right but again the keeper made a good save.

At half time the Warriors took a well earned rest and a pep talk from the coaches. This seemed to do the trick. As they kicked off the second half, Ben passed the ball to Tim, who made a fantastic run down the right, crossing the ball into Sam who shot at goal. The ball bounced back off a player and found Stan who hammered it into the back of the net. So two minutes in, the score was level at one all.

A few minutes later and Exmouth kicked off, being stopped by Ben in defence who ran the ball back to their half running around three players on the way. This was the first of two runs he made in the match of over 30 yards and he just seemed on fire.

Warriors kept pushing the pace and with the wind behind them it seemed their fortunes had changed. Several shots hammered into the Exmouth goal keeper, who was doing an excellent job, but one dropped ball found its way onto Sams foot and into the back of the net.

Exmouth showed why they lead their division and fought back hard, stealing the ball away after a goal kick and running towards the Warriors goal with shots bouncing back a forth. First cleared by Jamie, then Joe the Exmouth forwards kept shooting and then Harry Saunders cleared the ball from the goal line.

The attacks kept coming and Exmouth scored again bringing the game back level at 2-2.

Getting close to the end of the game Harry Saunders, on the left took the ball forward, passing two players and passing on to Ged. Ged carried on, but hitting a wall of defenders Exmouth kicked the ball back over them. Although they tried, there was just no making up the ground and an Exmouth forward took a shot from ten yards out, finding the top of the net, putting Exmouth in the lead.

With just a few minutes left the Warriors fought on. A drop kick from George found the wind that had been so cruel to him in the first half and carried the ball high in the air. Stan passed it forward and Sam charged after it, closely followed by the Exmouth defence. Under pressure he took the shot but it went just wide of the goal.

The final whistle saw Exmouth into the next round but the Warriors made sure they had to work very hard for it!

Sidmouth Warriors 1-3 Alphington Arrows - 13 Dec 2014

The Warriors entertained unbeaten Alphington in Division 1 of the Exeter & District League and produced a display to be proud of. The visitors took the lead against the run-of-play when the Warriors were undone yet again by a long range, speculative strike. After a difficult run of matches recently, the response from the home team was superb. Heads remained high and the boys stuck to the game plan. Justice was done when Tim Goody nodded home the equaliser from Harry Saunders' corner. With the scores all square at half-time, the boys sniffed a victory but credit to Alphington who worked tirelessly to keep the Warriors at bay. The visitors bagged a couple of second half goals to seal the victory but the Warriors can go into the Christmas break full of confidence.

Honiton Devils 4-1 Sidmouth Warriors - 6 Dec 2014

The Warriors missed an opportunity to bounce back from last week's defeat, going down to an energetic Honiton team who were 'pumped up' for the match.

The boys in green are just a little short on confidence at the moment but it's just a temporary dip in form and we will turn it around.

Harry gave us the biggest cheer of the day when he rifled home a long-ranger after a succession of corners. That boy can strike a football!

Don't worry about it boys. Keep working hard and the good times will come back...

Sidmouth Warriors 1-10 Brixington Blues - 29 Nov 2014

Difficult to type that score line! We were anticipating a competitive, tight contest but the reality was a drubbing for the home team, our heaviest ever defeat in 5 years of football, in fact :(

Credit to BB who were fired up from the start and impressive in all areas. Sidmouth simply couldn’t match the away team’s appetite and power. Just how good were BB? Or, is the question how good did we make them look? Sidmouth were second to the ball, were slow to close down, gifted space in dangerous areas and were caught ball-watching, whilst the Blues did the exact opposite!

After a punishing first half, the Warriors did noticeably improve in the second period and were given a brief lift when Joe slammed a terrific shot into the net after another excellent attack down the right from Tim. That was pretty much the highlight on a grim day for the Greens!

A deflated coach Justin gave a brief post-match conference before heading home in a huff: “It’s been a difficult morning and we’ve been given a really tough lesson today. Credit to Neil and his team who were outstanding – the best we’ve seen for a long time. That said, the manner of the defeat is very disappointing as we couldn’t match their ball-winning, their closing down, their appetite generally. What I will say is that the lads held themselves together and didn’t throw in the towel. That was pleasing to see. George, in particular, kept his head high and his focus was 100% right to the end. We know we can do better than this and we must use our next match to show the rest of the league that this was a one-off and that we’re not a soft touch.”

Honiton Demons 0-5 Sidmouth Warriors - 22 Nov 2014

The Warriors advanced to the QF draw of the League Cup with a professional performance away to local rivals Honiton. The coaches used the occasion to give the full squad a good run out and also to give some players the chance of trying new positions. It was a chance to welcome back Stanley who's been absent through illness - good to see you back in the green shirt, Stan!

On a heavy pitch it was difficult for the boys to move the ball quickly and accurately but their pressure told when Samuel opened the scoring. Jamie seemed to be relishing playing on the right of midfield and he put in a number of good runs to keep the home defence under pressure. The Warriors continued to boss the game with a series of corners and further goals from Harry (first of the season) and Joe gave Sidmouth a comfortable 3-0 half-time lead.

In the second have there were further changes including a rare appearance in the opposition's half for Benedict! Tim showed what an adaptable player he is by reverting to the sweeper position for the second half and putting in a fine display.

Thomas capped a hard-working striker's performance with a well-deserved goal and this weekend the goal line technology worked in Sidmouth's favour when Joe's shot off the post was adjudged to have crossed the line - we all agreed we would rather have had the goal given last week instead!

Cup draw for the QF takes place on Sunday evening 30 Nov.

Central Redstar 6-5 Sidmouth Warriors - 15 Nov 2014

I think I need to go back 2 seasons to find the last time we conceded more than 3 goals in a match!

The Comeback Kings left themselves with too much to do this time, trailing 5-1 at the break against a rampant Redstar side. Jed Ionov-Flint's neat finish was the only moment of joy in a forgettable opening 30 minutes.

No one can doubt, though, the Warriors' courage and fighting spirit. With sleeves rolled up for the second half, the boys raised their game several gears and quickly pulled a goal back, again with a calm finish by Ionov-Flint.

Inevitably, the goal lifted the boys' confidence and with several chances being created it was no surprise to see Sidmouth reduce the arrears to 5-4 with a close-range finish by Brad Hill and an own goal after panic in the home penalty area. Everyone, most of all Redstar, sensed this game was far from over.

And then followed the cruel turning point of the match. Sidmouth attacked again, a Tim Goody run and cross was met by Joe Ashby whose shot cannoned off the underside of the bar, bounced over the line and came out again. The Warrior celebrations were cut short, however, when the goal was not given, Redstar counter-attacked and scored at the other end. Sidmouth kicked-off at 6-4 down but it should have been Redstar kicking off at 5-5.

Huge credit to the boys' temperament though as they never gave up and Tim Goody blasted home a fifth goal for the visitors. A brilliant second half but the damage had already been done.

In his post-match conference, Coach Justin said "That was a really uncharacteristic game for us. Focusing on the positives, we really could have come away with all 3 points after an amazing comeback and I really feel for the boys for the goal that wan't given. Regarding the first half, well, we will have a debrief about that at training! Congratulations to Nigel and his Redstar team for their first League victory of the season. They tore us to shreds in the first half but I shall look forward to the return fixture in Sidmouth..."

Sidmouth Warriors 4-1 Heavitree Social Gunners - 8 Nov 2014

The 'Gooners' arrived at Sidmouth on Saturday morning undefeated and having conceded only one goal this season. As such, they looked pretty shocked to find themselves 2-0 down after 5 minutes!

Joe opened the scoring in what was almost the first move of the match, following positive approach play from Jamie and Tim on the right flank.

The visitors had barely recovered from the early blow when Samuel 'Lineker' Rice popped up in the penalty box with a trademark finish that doubled the Warriors' lead.

Slowly but surely the opposition came into the game and whilst there were further Sidmouth chances it was Heavitree who scored next with an emphatic finish from the edge of the area.

Jed and Ryan were linking well on the left and Sidmouth continued to attack. At the other end, when called upon, the defensive line - Toby, Harry and Jamie in front of sweeper Benedict - rose to the challenge. Harry caught the eye with his impeccable tackling.

2-1 to the good at half-time, the boys were reminded how well they had played and were tasked with starting the second period in the same manner as they approach the first.

Sure enough, with the slope in their favour, Tim's electrifying pace caused the visitors no end of problems. His excellent link-up play with the lively Samuel created a one-on-one for Joe who shot into the bottom corner to make it 3-1.

Thomas and Brad played their part too. Thomas had played striker in the first half and came on in a midfield role in the second half and worked as hard as ever to win the ball. The experience of Brad meant he quickly settled into the right of defence to counter any Heavitree attacks down the wing.

Heavitree chased the game valiantly and when called upon, George pulled off a couple of brilliant saves. But, it was the Warriors who had the cutting edge and it was Tim who capped an outstanding performance with a well-deserved 4th goal for Sidmouth.

Playing in top gear for large periods of this match, the Warriors were a joy to watch.

Okehampton 2-3 Sidmouth Warriors - 25 Oct 2014

For the second week running, the Warriors were staring an away defeat in the face but came away smiling. The Warriors were rampant from the first whistle with a number of fluid attacks.

It wasn’t long before the home defence was breached and what a cracker it was! Samuel Rice was the supplier and his cross found Jed Ionov-Flint who launched a rocket into the top corner - an early contender for goal of the season!

Sidmouth continued to dominate the first half but failed to add to their tally. This proved costly as Okehampton began to apply some second half pressure and the home team equalised then took the lead with two spurious long-range efforts that looped over the Sidmouth keeper.

Some teams would buckle at this point but the Warriors took a deep breath and stepped up their efforts. Tim Goody was a constant source of menace along the right channel and his persistence created an opening for Ryan Kubaczka to notch his first Sidmouth goal.

Not content with a draw, the Warriors stayed on the offensive, Samuel Rice was put through and made no mistake when one-on-one with the keeper. Benedict Teague marshalled the defence superbly and when called upon, George Wheeler made some great saves. Ryan and Harry paired up effectively to control the left channel, putting in some huge tackles.

This was a fantastic team effort full of quality and character.

Lympstone Lions 3-3 Sidmouth Warriors - 18 Oct 2014

The Warriors ventured to what's arguably the prettiest venue in the Exeter Youth League, overlooking the Exe estuary. Maybe the boys were distracted by the fine views as they struggled to find any sort of tempo or rhythm!

It was Lympstone who were winning the tackles and attacking with pace and enthusiasm from the off. It was the home team who broke the deadlock just before half-time but, curiously, the second half started in the same vein with Lympstone taking advantage by adding a second goal.

That seemed to spark the Warriors into life at last and Thomas Rowan found himself one-on-one with the keeper and drilled home emphatically into the top corner. The goal rejuvenated Sidmouth who started to take the game to Lympstone.

Their cause, though, was dealt a blow when the home team added a controversial third despite the linesman flagging that the ball had gone out of play. Stung by the sense of injustice, the Warriors laid seige to the home goal and Stan Richardson drilled home after a goalmouth scramble.

More drama was to follow in the last minute when a marauding Joe Ashby was hauled down in the penalty box leaving the ref with no option but to award a penalty. Up stepped Stan Richardson, as cool as you like, to slot the spot kick home and rescue an unlikely point for the Greens.

Sidmouth Warriors 0-2 CS Pumas - 11 Oct 2014

The Warriors put in a terrific battling display at home to the Division 1 league leaders from Uffculme. An early injury to pacey striker Tim Goody was a blow to the Warriors’ cause but the whole team stepped up to the challenge. A strong and well organised Pumas team enjoyed the majority of possession but the Warriors’ defence, marshalled by sweeper Benedict Teague, was giving nothing away. In the end it was two fine strikes from the edge of the box that sealed the away win but the lads can be proud of their ‘gutsy’ display.

Sidmouth Warriors 2-3 Twyford Spartans - 4 Oct 2014

The Warriors were edged-out in a five goal thriller against league champions Tywford. Sidmouth matched the opposition in the early exchanges but fell behind to an excellent long range strike.

Worse was to come on the stroke of half-time when a Twyford corner was headed in by a green shirt for an O.G! It was the conclusion to a bizarre first half where the Warriors’ keeper hadn’t made a save and two one-on-ones chances had gone begging!

The Warriors, though, showed immense character to pin Twyford back after the re-start and quickly reduced the arrears when Tim Goody burst through and fired home in the bottom corner. With renewed belief, the Green Army launched a series of attacks and quickly found a remarkable equaliser.

Keeper George Wheeler fed sweeper Benedict Teague who moved the ball into Joe Ashby in midfield and then on to striker Tim Goody. Tim fed a marauding Samuel Rice down the right channel who chipped an exquisite cross for Joe to head home. The crowd went wild (on the Sidmouth touchline at least)!

Tywford were on the ropes and Sidmouth had the chance to finish them off. But, to their credit, Twyford weathered the storm and began to put Sidmouth under pressure again. An enormous goalmouth scramble saw Tywford drive home the winner – in the last minute. Nevermind about the result, this was a terrifically entertaining game played in a great atmosphere by two highly skilled and competitive teams.

West Hill Wasps 1-7 Sidmouth Warriors - 13 Sep 2014

The Warriors progressed into the draw for the 2nd round of the League Cup with a convincing away win at local rivals West Hill. After a subdued opening 15 minutes the Warriors moved up a couple of gears with their passing and energy creating some good opportunities. Thomas Rowan finally opened the scoring with a trademark penalty box finish and then Joe Ashby added a second from close range. In the second half, Sidmouth took total control with an excellent display and further goals were added by Samuel Rice, a brace from Stan Richardson and a couple more from Joe to complete his hat-trick. He might have grabbed the headlines but it was the performance of twins Brad and Toby Hill that caught the eye as they never lost a tackle all match. Credit to West Hill who never gave up and scored a very well deserved consolation goal.

Sidmouth Warriors 5-1 Copplestone Cobras - 6 Sep 2014

The Warriors made a fantastic start to the new season with a dynamic display against their Division 1 opponents. Playing up the slope in the first half, the home team bossed possession and soon began to create chances. Stanley Richardson enjoyed the extra space of the 9-aside pitch and terrorised the visitor’s defence. He supplied a series of fine crosses before tucking away two goals for himself. Brad Hill added a third with a smart finish after another fine build-up. On a hot and tiring day, the second half began at a lower tempo. The Warriors kept their shape well and added two more goals from Tim Goody and Samuel Rice. Harry Saunders was exceptional on his debut but with all 13 players involved this was a brilliant team performance on the opening day of the season.